Sunday, February 27, 2011

Savannah Omnium--

So when you think Omnium you typically think three events...my omnium consisted of 2 events. The TT was 17 miles long--that's right it's at the end of February still--17 miles you gotta be kidding me. The crit was killer--2 corners and a sweeping right hand bend in the middle of the course...After 2 laps I got jumpy--I felt the itch and needed to scratch it. I went and clipped along at 30 for half a lap to see if anyone wanted any. 7 Laps later I was still by myself and no one was trying to cross the gap...I hated what I saw--the fire-breathing dragon (the peleton) reared it's head and started to pull me back...it scratched and clawed and finally consumed me and spit me out the backside. I sat on that dragon's weather, torn tale flapping violently with every new attempt to cough up a new attack. Thankfully the dragon kept everyone at bay and with one lap to go,the bunch began to get jumpy. At the start finish I drew my sword one more time and tossed carelessness to the wind--rail this corner and go...3 of us got a gap and with half a lap left we were about to slay that fugly beast. However, my two jump mates jumped me and left me to get swallowed up. Carnage, as usual, ensued...kid taco'd his tubular and my legs began to sear. I out kicked this one kid for 10th. A lot of work for a 10th place finish, but it's there and in the words of Will Ferrell in Old School, "You Know It!"

Sunday's Circuit Course was held on a race track on Hutchinson Island. It was dead pan flat and I was lovin' it. No one could get away and with 3 to go Roundhere Racing sent a boy up the road. The pack seemed content to watch their race dreams wither away...well almost everyone. Not to be out done by good team tactics...I drilled it back at 30+ for over a minute. I began to wonder if I had anything left in the tank. On the backside of the final lap it was make it or break it time and I sat 2nd wheel into the final turn for the drag to the finish. We were running in at 30 mph when a launch went at 320 m out...I jumped on and crossed the line at 39 mph in 3rd place...BOOM!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment